If social media in Pakistan has started crawling – marketing on social media is a new-born baby, with brands and marketing professionals just trying to get their hands dirty.
This is a presentation that I made to the students of at the IBA Media Accession & Reinforcement Convention 2013 (i-MARC 2013) and am sharing here for your reading and reference too. Hope you find it useful – notes on each slide given below:
- Overview of Social Media Marketing landscape of Pakistan
- In a glance a look at the digital landscape of Pakistan (as on Jan 2013) vs the population number
- Most of our online activities are revolving socialization – from email to social networks – that’s where most internet users in Pakistan are. News is a much smaller objective of being online for Pakistanis
- Did you know?
- In Dec 2011, Pakistan had 5.5million users on Facebook (largest social media network in Pakistan) – by Jan 2013 Facebook users have grown to over 8 million users
- While Facebook is the social media of Pakistan’s choice, 28% of this population is also on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and other social platforms.
- Facebook users, in April 2013, have crossed the 8.5 million mark from Pakistan
- Looking at the role of social media in Pakistan
- It was social media in Pakistan that caused Maya Khan’s morning show on Samaa TV to go off air in 2012
- World Food Program (WFP) launched a social media campaign in 2012 Ramzaan and raised funds for the under privileged.
- TNM is a 2013 social media campaign that is working on building awareness of the violence faced by women in Pakistan.
- On the corporate sector, social media marketing is a part of the digital marketing umbrella – that includes digital advertising as well.
- As per Aurora the digital industry of Pakistan for 2012 stands at Rs. 1.01 Billion, which is an increase of 45% from 2011.
- Some brand stories on social media in Pakistan
- Nokia, Ufone and OLX Pakistan have crossed 1 million ‘likes’ on their Facebook pages
- Magnum, Pizza Hut & Tang are examples of how brands have taken their product launches and adapted them for social media in the form of Facebook games/apps.
- Brand presence of Twitter are still insignificant. However, media outlets are great examples on how to successful engage users via Twitter.
- Love Dove to ‘Win a Free trip to Dubai” and others are examples of social media campaigns, where traditional media was used by brands to get users to be social with the brand.
- However, the key to social media in engagement, and brands in Pakistan are still chasing likes. Examples of some brands with high engagement rate on their Facebook page
- Some simple tips on how brands can be more engaging with their customers on social media.
“New marketing is about the relationships, not the medium.” – Ben Grossman, founder of BiGMarK